Monday, November 3, 2014

More of You

I have a hard time reading my Bible consistently. It's never been my strongpoint. I have to make myself get into a routine of reading it, but if I miss a day, it goes south fast. 

Confession time... 

I haven't been doing my quiet time for the last few weeks. It just happened. At first, I didn't notice any changes. But recently, I realized that I was acting and thinking differently. It wasn't an outward rebellion. Nothing was obviously amiss. What was happening was a heart issue and it crept in gradually. Not only was I not reading my Bible, but I was hardly spending anytime with God. I was praying less and rapidly putting a wedge between Jesus and myself. I was a "Sunday" Christian and I didn't even realize it. 

Thinking back over the last few weeks/days, I can see where I would let things happen that I normally wouldn't have stood. Every once in a while, I was saying and doing things that were not me. I wasn't spending anytime with Jesus and it was making me less like Him. Sometimes I’m searching for something; whether it is entertainment, people or activities to fill a void that I think I have. In reality, anything that I am looking for is never going to satisfy. Only Christ can. He is what I need. The things of the world are tempting; and we are constantly hearing that "if we just have this or achieve that, then we’ll be happy"… But they are never enough. 

Mark 8:36 says, “And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?” I do not want to spend my time seeking the things of the world. The outcome separates me from my Savior. Yes, I am in the world and I love a lot of things about it. I watch movies and TV; read books; wear up to date clothing; and that is fine. Nothing wrong with enjoying those things. It's when they become more important then Jesus. If I notice that my relationship with Christ is suffering; I have a bad attitude; or I’m watching something I shouldn't be; it's usually a sign that I need to do a spiritual checkup. 


It's not hard to cross boundaries. I can easily become desensitized to things I watch, see or do. It is a daily struggle. We are in a world of easy access distractions. Thankfully, we have a God Who is not only forgiving but patient! 

Even though I am disappointed with myself for the way I’ve been acting, I am also encouraged. I am encouraged because I realized it. I knew something was off. It proves to me that I am still willing to let the Holy Spirit work in my life...  and there is a lot of work to do! Just like Christian in Pilgrim's Progress, I stray from the path and make many mistakes. But, Jesus is with me every step of the way; showing me where to go. I only have to follow Him. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment